corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymous addressees

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymous addressees
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:30:49 +0100

-------------------------
Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)

----------
> From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
> To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Pseudonymous addressees (was Pseudonymity)
> Date: 30 April 1999 08:30
>

> Dave Hindley wrote:
>
> >It seems to me that there is little difference between the motivation
for
> >an "apostle of the devil" to alter epistles of living authors, than for
> >dead one. It would probably be easier, seeing that the author is not
able
> >to defend himself.

Richard Fellows responds:

> And if one is wanting to forge a letter in Paul's name, who would one
pick
> as an 'addressee'?

Chris Cutler writes:
Isn't "Forge" putting a modern value judgement on a common practice of the
times? An anonymous admirer of Paul may well have put P's name to his
letter in honor of his mentor, not for any thought of personal advantage.

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)

  • Re: Pseudonymous addressees, Chris Cutler, 04/30/1999