corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Perry L. Stepp" <plstepp AT flash.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:30:46 -0400

From: Errol Smith & Colleen Loo <ERROL.COLLEEN AT bigpond.com>

>Jack Kilmon wrote:

>> Given that Tim I & II and Titus reflect church structures not in place
>> till long after Paul's death...and used by Theophilus of Antioch,
>> Irenaeus of Lyon, and the Muratorian list..I have always suspected
>> Polycarp.

Even if one doesn't date Acts until late first century or later, we need to
note a
couple of pertinent citations re. church structure.

First, Clement of Rome (written between 90-100) seems to envision the same
kind of church structure as the PE.

Second, Clement 42 (mis?)quotes Isaiah 60.17 from the LXX that mentions
"elders and deacons": most critics think Clement is merely "correcting" the
passage (which in extant LXX witnesses reads ARCHONTAS KAI EPISKOPOUS
instead of Clement's EPISKOPOUS KAI DIAKONOUS), but several have suggested a
diferent LXX text (Hagner [tentative], Hatch), a targum (Danielou), etc.

Thus it is unnecessary (and possibly somewhat anachronistic) to read the PE
as if they reflect the fully developed authoritative hierarchy of Irenaeus.
The church structure of the PE need not be placed any later than 90 at the
latest.

PLStepp

Senior Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
DCC's webpage: http://come.to/DeSotoCC
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

Does it not concern us that God's name is often
dishonored because of poor theologies of God?
--Clark Pinnock, *The Openness of God*