corpus-paul - sick and broke

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Rick Strelan <rick.strelan AT mailbox.uq.edu.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: sick and broke
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:35:42 +1000

I know that the Corinthian correspondence is usually read to support the
notion that Paul was self-supportive and refused financial help from the
Corinthians et al. Is it at all possible to read it differently, namely,
that this is rhetoric used to shame the Corinthians for not supporting him
[cf 1 Cor 4:14]?
Is it also possible that Paul was sick and broke in Ephesus [or wherever
the Corinthian correspondence has its provenance]? Sick not with the
congenital or permanent diasability that is proposed [blindness, epilepsy
etc] but just sick as a dog ['I die every day' 1 Cor 15:31; cf also 2 Cor
1:8]?
Finally, how come Paul complains of hunger, thirst,illness, homelessness
etc [1 Cor 4:11;these are not rhetorical complaints] - where were his
supporters?

Thanks in anticipation for any response,

Rick

Dr Rick Strelan
Studies in Religion
University of Queensland