corpus-paul - Re: authenticity of 2 Tim?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Christopher Hutson <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: authenticity of 2 Tim?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:34:40 EDT

>From: Patrick Nugent <nugenpa AT earlham.edu>
>
>Jerome Murphy-O'Connor, in his recent biography of Paul, argues that
if we
>look at 2Tim in isolation from 1Tim and Titus, the grounds for
pseudonymity
>fall away. O'Connor thinks it likely that 2 Tim is authentic.
>Murphy-O'Connor argues this point at greater length in an older
piece, "2
>Timothy Contrasted with 1 Timothy and Titus," RB 98 (1991): 403-418.
Brown
>in his Introduction to the NT sifts very nicely through the evidence
and
>arguments, but concludes himself (p. 674) that 2 Tim is pseudonymous,
but
>not by the same author as 1Tim/Titus.

Patrick, I reviewed Murphy-O'Connor's arguments in RB very carefully,
but to my mind all he presented were hairsplitting minor distinctions
without differences. Perhaps I missed something. What specific
detail(s) in his case did you find most convincing?

Cordially,

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson
Hood Theological Seminary
Salisbury, NC 28144
crhutson AT salisbury.net

  • Re: authenticity of 2 Tim?, Patrick Nugent, 04/22/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: authenticity of 2 Tim?, Christopher Hutson, 04/22/1999