corpus-paul - Re: Zoe and Bios

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zoe and Bios
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:20:52 -0400

At 10:02 PM 4/21/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Can any Greek Scholars help me with some examples of Paul's use of the
>terms ZOE and/or BIOS?

Paul uses zoe 26 times (in the 7 authentic epistles). He uses bios not even
1 time in the authentic epistles. If one were to assign 1 and 2 Tim to him
(which no one does, do they?) the word is used 2 times.
(no computer program for counting here--- i just used something that us
older guys have- its called a concordance!).

Paul, then, never uses bios. To comprehend his use of zoe you might want to
read the TDNT article on that word.

>When will one do and not the other? and what are the differences?

Since he never uses bios- this is a moot question.

>Is either term used in relation to immortality mentioned in 1 Tim 6:16?

Since Paul didn't write the Pastorals, the question doesnt hold.
Nevertheless, the text here is <gk>athanasian</gk>- literally "deathless".
The "alpha privative" attached to the phoneme "thanatos"= death.

>Many thanks
>
>Chris

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • Zoe and Bios, Chris Cutler, 04/21/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Zoe and Bios, Jim West, 04/21/1999