corpus-paul - My own take on 2 Cor 12

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Daniel Grolin" <grolin AT mip.sdu.dk>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: My own take on 2 Cor 12
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:49:23

Dear C-P readers,

Here is how I understand 2 Corinthians 12:1ff.

First of all humility does not explain the distance that Paul takes from
"such a person". This was a person that was known to Paul (WIDA) in an
almost visual sense. This person was known to Paul in uniquely revelation
(in or out/without body), 14 years from writing time. And this "person"
experienced something indescribable (being in heaven).

Now the distance that Paul takes from "such a person" is such that he will
glory in him, but not in himself "save of weakness". So Paul considers
glorying in "such a person" quite different from glorying in himself. This
person is described as being "in Christ", which in general means that that
he is Christian.

But how is Paul able to describe this as if he has experienced it himself?

As I understand it Paul is speaking about a personal experience, but
speaking about it in the third person, not out of humility, but out of
actually feeling as if he is not the object of the story. The 14 years and
the apparent uniqueness attached to it (since he is referring to an event
in the far past, it must logically be concluded that it has not reoccurred)
suggest that he is talking about his "call".

I suggest that he being "in Christ" has an unconventional meaning in this
case. He suddenly knew Christ by being "in him" or perhaps the reverse, by
Christ being in him. (Revelation by possession?)

Like prophets spoke in first person as the voice of Jesus, so Paul too,
describes himself as "personless". Paul does not suggest that his
revelation/call is the same as that of Christian communal prophets, rather
this for him is a unique revelation, it is the meeting of the Risen Lord.

I will not try to suggest what actually happen. I will leave that to
theologians and psychologists to quibble about. I am, however, interested
in understanding what Paul himself thought happened and what meaning it had
to him.

Regards,

Daniel

  • My own take on 2 Cor 12, Daniel Grolin, 04/16/1999