corpus-paul - Re: Social context of Galatian's suffering

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Social context of Galatian's suffering
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:19:02 -0700

Just a footnote to the very interesting conversation between Mark and Ray.

At 11:28 PM +0000 4/8/99, Ray Pickett wrote:
>I take your point that the gentile believers in Galatia were involved
>with Jews when Paul wrote the letter, and that some of them had been
>convinced that it would be a good thing to be circumcised.

This very well represents the consensus on Galatians, but Johannes Munck
makes the interesting suggestion that the "troublers" in Galatia were
_Gentile_ converts to Christ who have become enthusiastic about obeying the
statutes of their new God (basing this in part on the _lectio difficilior_
hOI PERITEMNOMENOI in Gal 6:13, "those who are undergoing circumcision,"
rather than hOI PERITETMHMENOI, "those who have been circumcised," i.e.,
native Jews). These converts have read Gen 17 et al., taken the Torah at
face value, and set out do what it says and encourage others in like
situations to do the same. Munck's argument (in _Paul and the Salvation of
Mankind_) remains the most comprehensive exegetical challenge to Baurian
interpretations which conflate the opponents in Galatians, 2 Cor, and
Romans to produce anti-Pauline Jewish Christianity.

Jeff

Jeffrey Peterson
Institute for Christian Studies
Austin, Texas, USA