corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: March 31, 1999 comment from Robert Kraft

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: March 31, 1999 comment from Robert Kraft
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:49:40 +0100

I seem to have missed Jake's original post, but I think Frank wrote quoting
Jake:
> >Though NOT a Swedenborgian
> >follower, I have read some of his works, and know some of his followers
as
> >family friends, and was very much surprised to learn that they do not
accept
> >ANY of the writings of Paul, deleting all of his letters from their
> >otherwise complete Holy Bible. Is this list open to discuss comments
> >critical of Saul's conversion, and opting for the view that he may
instead
> >have been a "plant" by his teacher Rabban Gamaliel The Great Omer to
turn
> >the new movement in a different direction?
[snip]
Frank:

> Now *this* is a very good question worthy of pursuit!
> Conventionally put, "Was the Gospel *of* Jesus supplanted by Paul's
Gospel
> *about* Jesus?"
[snip]
Jake:
> >I'm a student, searching only for the truth, with no pre-set position or
> >doctrine to defend.
> >Jacob "Jake" Scot, in rembrance of the Jacobite
> Rising in Scotland, my ancestral home
>
> Frank (for "candid, straightforward, honest" in remembrance of my Celtic
> ancestry)

Chris (for ... well, you think of something! q:-)

It would be a gross breach of netiquette to promote a particular belief or
doctrine on this list.

However I will just say that Swedenborg was not the only one to write
"contra Paulus" in this way, Todd-Ferrier and Holmes-Gore were others. If
Jacob, Frank, or any others would like some references please write to me
off list. My address is chrisc AT powercall.co.uk

Could we all have some guidance from the list moderators as to how far we
can take the thread 'on list' discussing differences between the Jerusalem
Church's teachings *of* Jesus and Paul's teachings *about* Jesus?

Many thanks

Chris

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)