corpus-paul - Re: Paul's "dying for us" language

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's "dying for us" language
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:25:01 -0600

Bill Ross wrote:
{Jeff}
And my response to your point is that this is a thesis that would need to be
argued.

{Bill}
Something made more complicated by a lack of a common appreciation of the
plain use of words.

[snip]

Bill,

This brings up the subject of what words need to be referred to by you or anyone on the list when arguing about the meaning of a passage in a writing of, or attributed to, Paul.

Not to be heavy handed about this, but I will insist -- indeed, it is to be considered List Policy -- that the prime referent is *only and always* to be the Greek text of the passage in question. Using the KJV or any other translation of the Greek text as the primary basis of exegesis of that text or for claims about what the text "plainly says" is not acceptable. By the very nature of the enterprise, translations are themselves *interpretations*  whose conclusions regarding the meaning and import of the text may never without further ado be accepted as definitive or final.  To not recognize this is to fail to understand one of the basic methodologies, namely, the historical-crtical method, by which those participating here are expected (dare I say required?) to approach matters Pauline.

Posts which do not adhere to this policy may be rejected.

Apologies to those for whom this is only stating the obvious.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • Re: Paul's "dying for us" language, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 04/01/1999