corpus-paul - Re: Disputed Pauline letters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frank Glenn <fcg AT cvpc.edu.ph>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Disputed Pauline letters
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:08:25 +0800

At 01:59 PM 3/30/99 -0500, Sheila wrote:
>Jeff Peterson wrote:
(snip)
>> I'll start the bidding by admitting that I presently see no grounds for
denying 2
>> Thess to Paul and very little for Colossians, and 2 Timothy seems quite
debatable.
(snip)
>Sheila:The eschatology of Col I
>find nearly impossible for Paul, and the promotion of human lordship to a
cosmic level
>absolutely inconceivable.
>
>So, CP, what say the rest of you?

Loathe as I am to offer this in the presence of my betters, FWIW I'd like to
propose that, using Juergen Becker's basic list as a starting place, that we
consider Colossians as (1) Pauline and (2) the first extant letter we have.
Do the CP participants feel it possible that Paul's "intellectual" history
as a Christian began not in Qumran (Pace) but in Damascus with a very high
(cosmic) level of both Christology and Soteriology (dying-rising savior
mystery, anyone?) from whence it moved toward its terminus in Romans? I
think Romans 12:1-2 is the "bedrock" still there after its early
identification in Colossians 1:25-27.
Frank