corpus-paul - Re: Disputed Pauline letters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Christopher Hutson <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Disputed Pauline letters
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:30:55 EDT

>From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
>
>I'm wondering whether recent discussion of the authorship of the
disputed
>Paulines has altered the assumptions and vocabulary employed in the
study
>and teaching of Paul. E.g., do folks now refer to the "seven
undisputed
>letters" rather than the "genuine letters"?

Yes, I prefer to use "disputed" and "undisputed," because it is less
threatening to neophytes and because it does not prejudge the
question.

> And has anyone's mind been
>changed by e.g. Luke Johnson on the Pastorals or by Markus Barth on
>Ephesians and Colossians?

Nope. See chapter one of my dissertation, wherein I argue against
Johnson and others and argue in favor of reading the PE as a
collection.

I'll start the bidding by admitting that I
>presently see no grounds for denying 2 Thess to Paul and very little
for
>Colossians, and 2 Timothy seems quite debatable.

I am more open to consider 2 Thess as from the hand of Paul, but I
haven't considered Frank Hughes' argument, to which Sheila referred.
I'll think about it.

For me, Col and Eph both seem to represent a more institutionalized
church than is reflected in the undisputed letters. And the very
high, cosmic Christology also seems like a later development. I would
like to read Col as Pauline, because it would provide interesting
information on how Paul circulated his letters. But I'm not sure I
can separate it from Eph.

As for the Pastorals, I read them as a collection, all post-Pauline.
Throughout my dissertation research I went out of my way to remain
non-commital on the authorship of the Pastorals, but in the end I
found that they make much better sense in the context of a
post-Pauline community.

So that's where I stand at the moment.

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson