corpus-paul - RE: Start here! Justification by faith

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Start here! Justification by faith
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:22:18 -0600

{Bill}
I'll be first!

[If I have misinterpreted the scope of this list and this post is not
appropriate, please, please, please just drop it.]

My understanding of justification by faith is considered "novel" by some,
but it seems crystal clear.

I hold that Paul declares that God counts people as righteous because of
their faith and remits their sins.

The language of Paul regarding a substitutionary death are not to be
regarded as a strict penal substitution, actually satisfying justice in our
place, but rather providing the grounds for God showing *mercy*.

This is how I read Romans 3:

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all
and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Does this "jive" with Paul?

  • RE: Start here! Justification by faith, Bill Ross, 03/27/1999