compostteas - [Compostteas] types of tea vs nutrient value

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] types of tea vs nutrient value
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:42:56 -0800

Lloyd, here are my concerns re the recipe and the leaf mold:

First, it is important to know if you are applying a fungal or a bacterial
tea. Put the wrong kind down, and enough of it, and you will change the
soil environment. You could be switching a bacterially dominated soil to a
fungal one without knowing it-- and sure over a period of time. As you know,
some plants like fungal and others bacterial soils.Simplified to its
essence, Each produces a different kind of nitrogen-nitrate and ammonium.
Fungal and Bacterial loving plants can live off of both, but have a
preference for one type over the other. You tea is a great, army, but it may
be the wrong army!

As for what I call leaf mold, I have no doubt it is full of good
stuff--fungi breaking down that cellulose and lignin and some bacteria
getting in on the open wounds, but and that the aeration probably takes care
of any bad guys that may have been there, but it is not compost. Aren't all
the good guys in the leaf mold already in your compost? It is an extra step
and, I think, BUT AM NOT SURE, an unnecessary one.

Cheers,

jeff L