compostteas - [Compostteas] Virus and Aphids

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Virus and Aphids
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:16:37 +1000

It didn't take long! Members of this group please beware - don't open
anything about compost teas if it has an attachment. In the "To" column it
says "Info" Subject column = [compostteas] A Funny Website

Late today I sprayed my highly bacterial tea over some daylilies which I
think had aphids in them. Tomorrow, I'll get down on hands and knees (oh,
what will the neighbours think!) and inspect them closely. My first
experience with eradication of aphids by a fungi happened in 1989. Two acres
of plants were quite heavily infested but I sprayed only a small patch of
them with Safer's Insecticidal Soap Spray (it was a new product then) and
left the rest of the plants to see what would happen. After two weeks there
were no visible ones on the treated plants AND NO APHIDS ALIVE ON THE
OTHERS!!! There appeared to be millions of rotting aphids. I called up a
friend who was an entomologist at Qld Uni. and he was amazed at the sight. I
wonder if I am ever going to see this phenomenon again? Aphids have never
been a problem since that year. I also wonder - if i was to find that fungi
attacking aphids and i put it in my next compost tea whether they would
multiply?
In the USA, many daylily growers are spraying fungicides to control daylily
rust and I have heard reports that aphids are bad in many of these gardens.

Scott Alexander

  • [Compostteas] Virus and Aphids, Scott Alexander, 06/19/2002