compostteas - [Compostteas] continue Compost Task Force comments

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Soil Foodweb, Inc." <info AT soilfoodweb.com>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] continue Compost Task Force comments
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:05:41 -0500

Greetings all Compost Listserve participants,

We'd like make everyone aware that it seems the National
Organic Standards Board may well approve the Compost Task
Force recommendations as is without the necessary
adjustments to the recommendations made regarding compost
tea. If this does go through, certified organic producers
will be prohibited from using compost tea as we define it, a
valuable tool lost to a growing segment of agriculture.

This is why it is of upmost importance to let the folks in
charge hear our voices! Our suggestion would be to require
that compost tea, if used in contact with crops less than
120 days before harvest, must be made using high quality
compost as described in Sections 205.203(c)(1)-(3) of the
National Organic Program and the Compost Task Force
recommendations dated April 18, 2002. By requiring the use
of high quality compost we can circumvent the need to
prohibit the use of additional microbial food resources,
such as molasses, in the brewing of compost tea. If you are
interested in reading the Sections referred to above you can
view them at www.ams.usda.gov/nop/regtext.htm.

If you are so inclined, you may send your valuable comments
to any or all of the following persons:
Eric Sideman (Compost Task Force member): esideman AT mofga.org

Zea Sonnabend (Compost Task Force member): zea AT well.com
Owusu Bandele (NOSB member): obandele AT su.jags.SUBR.edu
Richard Mathews (NOP Manager): Richard.Mathews AT usda.gov
Barbara Robinson (AMS administrator):
Barbara.Robinson.AMS AT usda.gov

Thanks for making our voice heard,
Katie Goldberg
Soil Foodweb, Inc.

  • [Compostteas] continue Compost Task Force comments, Soil Foodweb, Inc., 06/17/2002