compostteas - [Compostteas] Saponin

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: Carole Eddington <eddington AT lvcm.com>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Saponin
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 16:17:13 -0700

Hi List,

I am new to the list, but have been following everything.

On 12/1/01 we took our tea sample out for Soil Food Web Testing, then
put in a saponin, Thermex 70 from Peaceful Valley immediately after and
took another sample out with the Saponin. The active fungal biomass
without the saponin were 7.45 and with saponin 4.1. Elaine said it may
have been some type of preservatives in the saponin or something. I
have found Desert King is experimenting with a dry powder saponin
without preservatives. I got a sample but I have not tried it yet.

When we did one Leaf Organisms Assay on 2/13/02 one of our treatment
plots where we have put a dry mix down and sprayed the entire tree had
102 percent coverage (100 percent bacteria and 2 percent fungi). We
used a tea without saponin. So I keep figuring the wetting agent
advantage may not be necessary as long as we have enough active
organisms when applying the tea. Paul Wagner from NY SFI says when they
are active they start eating immediately and produce sticky substances
to get them glued. Elaine? But saponin as a food source would be
great. Any other experiences?

Carole Eddington