compostteas - [Compostteas] Equisetum use

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Kevin Chambers" <kevin AT ovs.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Equisetum use
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:48:14 -0700

Equisetum arvense is the basis of BD prep 508.  The tea is prepared in two manners: one is simply steeped and the other is fermented.  I’ve only applied the fermented version.  The biodynamists I’ve spoken with focus on the silica content of equisetum as the fungal protective mechanism.  They refer to the increased “light” that 508 brings to the above ground part of plants.  But remember, here (on this list) we’re trying to describe processes primarily based upon the physical sciences of chemistry, biology and physics.  Yet biodynamics is all about “subtle forces,” they call their work “spiritual science.” Their description of the efficacy of Equisetum arvense would revolve around the astrality force.

With this post I’m not being pejorative.  In fact, I place a good deal of credibility in biodynamic principles.  But I’m trying to point out that we’re trying to define the use of biodynamic techniques without playing in the same paradigm.  If you will, we’re not using the right language.  What’s more, I think the use of Equisetum arvense in CT might be misdirected because of our failure to understand its biodynamic purpose.  We’re trying to encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria and fungi in CT.  In biodynamics, Equisetum arvense is being used as a fungicide OR, more appropriately, as a material to enhance plants resistance to fungal infection.