compostteas - [Compostteas] Posted by Jeff

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Tom Jaszewski" <tomj AT lvcm.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Posted by Jeff
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:31:47 -0700

The following was forwarded to me to post. If you believe in compost teas
and the Science behind them, then we are asking you to act now:

Here are some email addresses of people involved with the
compost task
force.

NOSB and compost task force contacts
Eric Sideman (task force member): esideman AT mofga.org
Zea Sonnabend (task force member): zea AT well.com
Owusu Bandele (NOSB member; crops committee chair):
obandele AT su.jags.SUBR.edu

USDA/AMS/NOP contacts
Richard Mathews (NOP manager): Richard.Mathews AT usda.gov
Barbara Robinson (AMS administrator):
Barbara.Robinson.AMS AT usda.gov

Other interested parties:
Amigo Cantisano (grower consultant): orgamigo AT jps.net
Wali Via (OTCO grower): walivia AT wintergreenfarm.com

Any letters/comments need to be sent to the NOSB and NOP
folks. At this
point, keep in mind the NOSB has voted to approve the
compost task force
recommendations, including the provision that sugar not be
added to compost
tea. There may be a chance the NOSB could amend it at the
next NOSB meeting
in September if a compelling case is made.... but I'm not
sure exactly how
the process works. Hopefully, someone will be willing to
consider comments
of concern regarding the sugar provision despite the fact
that a decision of
approval has already been made... I think it's worth a shot.
Keep in mind
that the compost task force felt the decision of approval
was a victory for
growers (and I would certainly agree as whole it was)
because it opened up
the narrowly defined compost provisions in the rule to
include other
systems/types.

Also, I humbly advise whomever is composing a letter to keep
in mind that
individuals tend to be more receptive to comments/concerns
if they are
presented in a manner which acknowledges their work/efforts
while raising
some issues that warrant attention and additional
consideration. offering
some expertise/information/support on improvement would also
probably be
appreciated. i tend to think a letter that has a tone of
"you guys don't
know what the hell you're doing" is not well-received and
sets a
negative/adversarial relationship from the outset. For
whatever it's
worth....

Hope the contact info is helpful. The sooner you begin work
on this issue,
the more likely you are to initiate dialogue and possibly
implement change.
PLANT A ROW FOR THE HUNGRY: Through PAR, over 3 million pounds of food have
been donated by home gardeners like you to feed the hungry. Ask me how you
can join the effort.

  • [Compostteas] Posted by Jeff, Tom Jaszewski, 05/22/2002