compostteas - [Compostteas] Making Quality Compost in 4-7 weeks

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Making Quality Compost in 4-7 weeks
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:30:39 -0400

Hi -

This is my first post. I'm a biodynamic CSA market farmer in Loudoun Co, VA. I own an EarthWorks brewer (recently purchased) and am currently planning on using their commercial compost mix for tea.

I do, however, want to use tea regularly in fertigation as well as in foliar sprays. I need my own supply of high quality compost and I'd like to be applying it to our low-OM soil here regularly.

I believe I've read Elaine say that good compost can be made in 7 weeks and I actually believe I've read her to say in can be made in 4 weeks. Somewhere, however, I've missed the right insights, because my Ingham-style pile is probably in it's 4th month and it 'ain't compost yet' (but it's very very close)

Right now this w.b. my primary question: WHEN DO YOU TURN if you're past the high heating and your compost looks like compost but it still heating up after turning? My stack is sitting right now at 110 degrees and has been there for a week. When should I have turned it? How do I know when to turn it?

The only test equipment I have is a consumer-quality compost guage from Johnny's Seed.

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA

  • [Compostteas] Making Quality Compost in 4-7 weeks, Allan Balliett, 05/19/2002