community_studios - [Community_studios] [cc-lessigletter] CC in Review: Lawrence Lessig on CC Tools

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>
  • To: cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] [cc-lessigletter] CC in Review: Lawrence Lessig on CC Tools
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:48:47 -0800

[This email is part of a weekly series written by Lawrence Lessig and
others about the history and future of Creative Commons. If you would
like to be removed from this list, please click here:
Alternatively, if you know others who might find these interesting,
please recommend they sign up at
http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter ]

From last week's email:

And stay tuned next week when I'll turn to some of the particular
projects we're working on right now — as well as ask again for your
support.
http://creativecommons.org/support/

The story continued:

Creative Commons gives away code to offer creators a simple ability –
to mark their creative work with the freedoms they want that work to
carry. Code – both legal code (licenses) and technical code
(software). I've spent a long time in these emails talking about the
legal code. But most don't know much about the technical code that
we've created, even though, imho, it is some of the best stuff we've
done.

But first, let's be clear about our objectives here. We're a small
nonprofit. We can't afford to be in the business of building and
maintaining code. So all of our coding projects build code in the
best way possible — we seed projects licensed under free software
licenses (the GPL, in particular), support them, and hope that
ultimately the projects take on a life of their own. We pick projects
based on the functionality that we want to be available. Nothing
would make us happier than to see the seeds we've planted become
million dollar businesses for someone else.

The code that we've been building — tools, for example, to enable
sites like Flickr to integrate our licensing engine into their own
platform or the fantastic plug-in for Mozilla-based browsers that
enables you to easily view license information about a page including
tiny icons that appear on the bottom bar of the browser window.
[ http://www.yergler.net/projects/mozcc/ ]

Instead, the code that is less known is the stuff we've built for
making the remix Internet easier.

The simplest, and perhaps most obvious, example is ccPublisher.
[ http://creativecommons.org/tools/ccpublisher ] ccPublisher is a
desktop application that makes it easy for people to put their
creative work — marked with a CC license — on the Internet. Once you
install the application, you can simply drag a file to ccPublisher.
It will launch a procedure to first ask you to specify a CC license
to apply to the content and then upload it to a server.

The server currently specified is the Internet Archive. Internet hero
Brewster Kahle has committed to giving anyone who licenses content
under a CC license free storage and free bandwidth, forever. So
through the Archive you're given a permanent home for your content as
well as a URL that you can give to others. In three simple steps,
your work — however large, however difficult to carry — is available
to everyone, forever.

http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/emails/slides.png

We've also built a simple validator that one can use for MP3s that
are marked with CC-licenses. A license embedded in a file is only
valid if there's a validating link-back to a website. This tool
enables you to validate that linkback, to give you more confidence
that the license is what it says it is.
[ http://creativecommons.org/tools/cclookup ]

But by far, the coolest code we've built was inspired by a bunch of
MIT undergraduates and made real by the extraordinary musician and
coder Victor Stone. We've called it ccMixter.

ccMixter is a kind of a "Friendster" for music (though without the
commercial side of the real Friendster). You put your tracks in, and
as others remix them, the system tracks the remix. So for any song
within ccMixter, you can see what songs were mixed to make that song
(if any), and what songs have remixed that song (if any). Users can
rate songs, download them or stream them or podcast the work they
select.

The idea was to build a technical platform for collaboration, built
on top of a legal platform for collaboration (the CC licenses). The
original content populating ccMixter was the 16 tracks from the Wired
CD, including music from Gilberto Gil, the Beastie Boys, David Byrne,
Chuck D, and others.
[ http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/emails/wiredcd.png ]
There are now more than 1600 tracks on the site.

My favorite story from ccMixter is about one musician who goes by the
name "Minus Kelvin." "Minus Kelvin" is a high school physics teacher.
He joined ccMixter in February, 2005. On his profile page, he said he
was looking for "A Record Label." In June, "Minus Kelvin" was signed
by a label, who had discovered him on ccMixter. And while there is
only one "Minus Kelvin" in the world, there are many stories like his
growing out of ccMixter.

We intend to host ccMixter for a while. We'll be porting it
internationally to support iCommons, and in educational contexts as
well. But our dream is that someone will simply take the code and
turn it into a site with tens of thousands of creators legally re-
creating each others' work. In the mean time, check out http://
ccMixter.org. And help support our work to spread it more broadly.
http://creativecommons.org/support/

Next week: More new projects. And in the week after that, the last of
these emails.

-------

Before I end this email, I want to add a couple corrections to two
earlier emails. The reactions I received made it evident that my
meaning was not clear.

First, in last week's email [ http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/
5719 ], in describing the battle that broke out between the "free"
software and "open source" software movement, I said, "[t]o some,
those were battles between a movement that believed in values and a
movement that believed in pragmatism." The qualification "to some"
was not clear enough. In my experience, those pushing the open source
software movement are among the most principled souls I know. However
"some" perceived the battle, in my view the real battle was between
two visions of value.

Second, in week two [ http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5668 ],
I said "[l]ike the Free Software Movement, we believed [Creative
Commons licenses] would help open a space for creativity freed of
much of the burden of copyright law. But unlike the Free Software
Movement, our aim was not to eliminate "proprietary culture" as at
least some in the Free Software Movement would like to eliminate
proprietary software." Some read this to mean that I believed the
Free Software Movement wanted to eliminate "proprietary culture." I
don't mean that. I mean simply that while many of the leaders of the
Free Software Movement would like a world where there is no
proprietary software, leaders of the Free Culture Movement don't seek
a world where there is no proprietary culture.

News from the fundraising front:

Finally, a bit about the fundraising. We are closing in on our goal,
but with only three weeks left, there is lots to be done. We are
especially grateful to RedHat and Six Apart for their challenge
grants. [ http://creativecommons.org/support/#challenge ]. A couple
more partners like these two and we'll be certain to reach our goal.

-------

To link to or comment on this message, go to:

Week 10 - Lawrence Lessig on Important Freedoms

Week 10 - Lawrence Lessig on Important Freedoms - Spanish Version
http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/translations/lessig-letter-10-es.pdf

Thanks to Maria Cristinia Alvite for translation.

Archive of Lessig Letters
http://creativecommons.org/support/letters

Support the Commons
http://creativecommons.org/support