community_studios - [Community_studios] Letter to the editor

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: JNCDOONA AT aol.com
  • To: JNCDOONA AT aol.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Letter to the editor
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:35:35 EDT

I just now have been able to get some thoughts down about the events of last weekend.  I sent this letter to my local newspaper today.  I just thought I'd share it with everyone.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.  I have only a dial up connection to the internet and don't know how long it will take to download these photos.  If someone feels like sending me a CD.  I'd sure appreciate it.  I have a presentation next week and really want to have some of the pictures to go with it.  Thanks again.

Dedication and Courage.

Cathy L.

It’s been a week since I attended the peace rally in Washington, DC.  I bet many Nebraskans didn't even know such an event took place.  So much for all the huffing and puffing about the "Liberal Media".  If the media was so liberal, no one in this country could have gotten away from the coverage of hundreds of thousands of people protesting the Iraq war, protesting the current administration's attack on civil rights, protesting the very direction this country is taking.

How is it that such a diverse group of American citizens: old, young, male, female, parents and children and grandchildren, all descendants of Europeans, Africans, Native Americans, Central Americans, Middle Easterners, Asians, South Americans, you name it, were so ignored?  I'll tell you why.  It is because they represent the America that this administration's cultural war is targeting with their smear campaigns, their propaganda paid for with tax payer money, their lies by omission and misrepresentation.

It is a classic method of brainwashing.  Take an event that makes people afraid: Sept. 11, 2001; make them even more afraid: Color Coded Terrorism Alerts, and give them an enemy to hate for it: anyone who physically resembles the people who carried out the attack and anyone who isn’t feeling victimized and emotionally vulnerable.  If someone is thinking rationally and logically and holding their fear at bay in order to think things through before taking action, then they are against us and must be silenced.  When people are afraid they are so much easier to manipulate.  In sales I was taught the FUD factor.  “Make them fearful, uncertain and doubtful and you can sell them anything!”  The present political climate in the US has FUD written all over it.

Huge groups of people, call them Liberals if you like, are questioning what is going on.  They are only asking questions that need answers.  Call the other side whatever you want, Conservative, Federalist, Right Wingers, Freepers, but they are lambs being led to God knows where because the current administration has the answer classified.  "Trust me," they say.  My mama warned me about people who talk like that, especially people who are in government.

Sept. 24, 2005 the city of Washington, DC was covered with people questioning what is going on in our country.  They will continue to question until more citizens rise up, find their courage, listen to each other and discuss the issues rationally, or until they are marginalized, labeled, demonized and eventually disposed of like so many cockroaches.  This is the cultural war we are fighting here at home.  There is no way a I can sit by and watch the country I love go down a path of hatred, greed, elitism, conformity and persecution.  We've been there, remember?  Call this another chapter of the Civil War if you like.  This one fought with sound bites, media blitzes, letters to the editor and demonstrations in Washington, DC if needs be.  But don’t think for a moment that it is over.  It is only just beginning.

  • [Community_studios] Letter to the editor, JNCDOONA, 10/01/2005