community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] helping build free culture on top of free software

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Nelson Pavlosky <npavlos1 AT swarthmore.edu>
  • Cc: Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] helping build free culture on top of free software
  • Date: 20 May 2005 05:56:02 -0700

Hi, Nelson: Thanks for the link. That's a terrific article.

Some thoughts:
First, I marvel at the Brazilians that seem to have totally embraced the
"empowerment of the individual" concept that the computer represents,
and starting with their government. History will have a lot to say
about this topic.

Secondly, Lessig, bless his heart, had the opportunity to jump all over
the collaboration with Open Studios, as early as 2002, when we contacted
him regarding support for our mission. His response to our vision of
placing audio/video software (CCRMA) "labs" in every community, in every
country? Silence. It wasn't/isn't because of cost. Our vision
includes a solution that costs nothing. Open Studios is working with a
correctional institution to integrate a computer that will enable
inmates to create and innovate, and license their works with the
Creative Commons options, and every inmate will walk out with the
ability to build and operate a community-based recording studio in
whatever community they end up in. Now, to me, that's a "lab" in
action.

Open Studios stands ready to receive his support, and anyone else's
support, that would be offered. There's really something more
remarkable about letting hundreds of thousands actually use the
equipment that was demonstrated at the youth camp. It is only a matter
of time, before folks like Lessig realize that. Or, am I wrong?

The folks at Creative Commons have a request out, in the form of a Wiki,
allowing anyone who might have ideas on how to spread the word about
their work, to add their ideas. We offer a solution: put the tools in
the hands of each community, each neighborhood, and with each computer,
is the one-on-one in-depth training on how to license the creative works
generated by that computer. Entire communities, all participating
actively in learning about their work, without spending a nickel. It's
called taking the clinical trial to the patient (well, a bad analogy,
'cause that's the last thing the pharmaceutical industry is willing to
do). :)
Tom