community_studios - [Community_studios] raise awareness

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Jeff Shippen <jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com>
  • To: jeffshippen AT juno.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Community_studios] raise awareness
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:31:33 -0800

A very scary time is starting to come about - those effected will be those of us that own computers, cd/dvd players, and portable music/movie players. I strongly encourage everyone to read the info posted on this website http://www.xiph.org/about.html . I am not going as far as to ask you to believe the information, I just want you to be aware that this is a concern. Judge it for yourself.

XIPH is a group of people working on multimedia formats (image, audio, video). Opposed to the popular MP3/MP4 formats, and other formats out there, XIPH is dedicated to providing free formats.

Have you ever been to a Website to listen to music, and they require you to use Windows Media Player, or Real Player, or Quicktime Player? Don't you hate installing all this junk, when you could have just used your personal favorite player? XIPH can help standardize multimedia to make this happen, as they provide their work for free. All you have to do is request that your player supports XIPH's formats - If they get enough requests, they will support it-at no cost to them. This will not solve all of the problems addressed on the website, but it could be a big start, especially if we are aware of what we may face before it hits us.

Please forward this on to others.
Jeff Shippen

  • [Community_studios] raise awareness, Jeff Shippen, 02/01/2005