community_studios - [Community_studios] community-based recording studio

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Toy Hodgin <tblond1999 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] community-based recording studio
  • Date: 06 Jan 2005 17:54:17 -0800

Hi, Toy: It was nice to talk with you on the phone. Glad you have a
rate that lets you call long distance.

Here are the first steps we recommend you consider with your group:
1] Pick out a name for your project, such as, Portland Community
Recording Studio. You can change the name at any time. We just need
one to start with.
2] Send the name of the project, a postal mail address you can use for
now, and the names and addresses of those who are co-founders
3] When we receive that info, we'll send a Memorandum of Understanding
(MOU) to the address you provide. You can then edit the MOU to suit
your needs, sign and return a copy for our records.

At that point, you'll have a document that you can show to civic
leaders, community residents, etc. that will help them know that you are
collaborating with Open Studios to make the project successful.

After that, it's a matter of laying out a strategy that gets you a
computer, training and support in place to make a demo recording. The
demo recording and a couple photos of the "community-based recording
studio" (computer on a kitchen table) will be enough to get the local
media's attention, I think. . . . and you'll be off and running.

Looking to hear from you,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

P.S. If you sign up for the mailing list, and share what you're doing
with the members, it would be a nice way to document your progress for
the rest of us.