community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] A new Lessig Article

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] A new Lessig Article
  • Date: 11 Aug 2004 08:17:20 -0700

I like how he refers to concentrated media and expansive copyright as
the perfect storm to weaken democracy. We have community-based
recording studios and our music portal model that is the perfect storm
for freeing music from the RIAA/Major Record Labels!
Tom

"NBC insists it is remaining "neutral" by denying others use of the
interview. But there's nothing neutral about restricting either critics
or supporters from repeating the president's words. But the issue here
isn't really NBC's motive. It is the president's. Why would any
president allow a network to copyright his message? No self-respecting
president would speak at a club that excluded women: Whatever rights a
private organization may enjoy, a president stands for equality. So why
did the current leader of the free world, who rarely holds press
conferences, agree to speak on a talk show that refuses to license on a
neutral basis the content he contributed? Is vigorous debate over
matters as important as going to war less important than protecting his
image?

This question is crucial, and thus Greenwald has decided to defend his
fair use right, even if it means staring down a bunch of lawyers in
court. The argument: It's hard to tell "the whole truth" about the Iraq
war when you censor bits of that truth because a network tells you to.
But what this incident demonstrates most is what many increasingly fear.
Concentrated media and expansive copyright are the perfect storm not
just for stifling debate but, increasingly, for weakening democracy as
well."