community_studios - [Community_studios] Arguing the deprivation of culture in our society

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Arguing the deprivation of culture in our society
  • Date: 11 Jul 2004 06:13:58 -0700

We're in the middle of the lazy, hazy days of summer, but that shouldn't
stop us from ruminating. I need you all to trash the following, and
then, after destroying my beautiful masterpiece, help me put it back
together in a meaningful way. The idea is to present an argument for
restating the importance of the Arts in our schools. If we can
formulate a successful point on this issue, then we can build on it for
presenting our case for community-based recording studios:

Down through the Ages, children were given instruction in all the
disciplines necessary to contribute to a society's culture as adults.
The ability to read, write, and work with numbers were considered
critical. Also, important, but not as critical, were instructions in
the Arts, as they lended themselves to stimulating the society to
progress (as the term was used by our country's framers).

Today, there is a growing acceptance that the Arts are all but
irrelevant in our schools, as they can be taught in other ways,
besides through a school curriculum of classwork. This thinking, of
course, is flawed. The advocates of eliminating the Arts from school
often resort to a logic that technology and the world, today, provides
far greater exposure to the Arts for children throughout our society,
thus reducing the need to include instruction formally in school.
Such logic is, of course, dangerous to society, and culture.

If technology and the progress of our society has reached a level that
no longer requires formal instruction in the Arts, which, everyone
knows, is the engine of progress, are we not then, shutting down the
engine of progress? Or, to put it another way, if we don't force-feed
our children on the Arts, and provide that foundation for them, will
they voluntarily seek it out in today's technology and society?

A quick trip through the SAT scores of our children bears witness to
the answer. If we then carry this flawed logic further, let's imagine
our society reaches a point where it seems nonsensical to force-feed
our children with the ability to work with numbers. After all, our
world is rapidly becoming computerized, and the need to work with
numbers is not nearly as critical as it used to be. Or, what about
writing? Heck, computers can lead the way, eh?

So, what kind of culture shall we strive for? Do we want a society
that enjoys communicating with phrases, words, but not formal
sentences? How about counting? How about appreciation for music?
Art? Literature? Is there going to be something called a "Classic"
song, book, painting in the year 2050? Will our country be known
worldwide for its authors, painters, musicians? Scientists,
politicians?

The answer is right in our faces. Name a "Classic" song that was
created after the big jump in copyright nonsense of 1976.