community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: record studio for communities in Congo

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: ONG AZUR D <azurdev AT yahoo.fr>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: record studio for communities in Congo
  • Date: 09 Jul 2004 22:55:01 -0700

Dear Ms. Niombo: It has been over one month since I received your
inquiry. I apologize for the delay. To start a dialogue, which we hope
will lead to your considering the possibility of sponsoring one or more
community-based recording studios in your part of our world, let me
describe the minimum requirements:

Assumption: An initial goal would be to set up a community-based
recording studio that provides all residents of a community free
recording services. These services would include, possibly:
1] A user could record and create a CD/DVD of music to sell to others
2] A user could create a multi-media campaign for fund-raising for a
nonprofit organization, including brochures, business cards, letterhead,
flyers to hand out to others, audio and video recordings for Public
Service Announcements, CD/DVDs to sell for raising funds, special event
packages, recordings and publications by the nonprofit organization
3] A user could create a multi-media campaign, much like mentioned in
[2], above, but would be targeted to a small business market, such as
handcrafted items, local and regional small businesses, etc.

Open Studios uses music, and encouraging Independent Artists to
participate, simply because we're interested in fulfilling our mission
of replenishing our precious Public Domain. The Internet empowers
individuals to reach worldwide audiences for their creativity and
innovation. Replenishing our precious Public Domain includes all works,
whether music, literature, art, or simply information. We accomplish
our mission by utilizing the Internet and working with other
organizations that believe there are basic rules that allow the free
sharing of ideas, and the respect of the creators to receive
compensation for their work. To this end, we encourage all users to
license their works, whether a song, or a nonprofit fundraising
campaign, with the Creative Commons Project www.creativecommons.org .

To start a recording studio, and do all of the above, you will need to
obtain a computer, possibly some specialized parts, and software. The
computer and parts can, with a lot of effort in most cases, be obtained
through donation. The software is free of charge, and once installed,
can be maintained by volunteers from around the world to always have
state-of-the-art technology for your community-based recording studio.

This computer will be able to sit anywhere, and make the finest quality
recordings possible. In other words, the cost of building a
community-based recording studio can be achieved without money, but with
a lot of effort, instead. We believe this approach is what works best,
as we do not restrict who may start a community-based recording studio.

I hope this raises some questions for you, and that you will want to
discuss this matter further. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/