community_studios - [Community_studios] Newsletter Issue #7: July, 2004

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: wezel AT wezel.com, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Newsletter Issue #7: July, 2004
  • Date: 02 Jul 2004 12:17:55 -0700

OPEN STUDIOS: RUNNING BOARD

Cookie Holley lost the battle with her illness this month. Open Studios
lost a true and courageous supporter. For the moment, her site remains
up: http://www.bumpngrindrecords.com , and if you click on the Cookie
Holley link at the top of her home page, you can learn more about her
remarkable life. We remember Cookie, now, with just one email:
- - -
When I first found out about Bump'NGrind, Cookie had just started it.
She asked me to be the Canadian contact for Bn'G and I said I would.

Shortly after that she asked me to send in a bio and a pix. She was
pleased with the bio but felt the pix could be "improved". She emailed
it back to me with a big smiley and said she'd like to use her version,
if I didn't mind! She did an amazing job of digitally enhancing the pix,
so much so that it remains one of my favorites. That was so typical of
her, just spontaneously doing something nice.

Over the past couple of years (or is it longer??) we had "talked" via
email and I had kept up with what she was doing.

She talked about her partner, Midnight Rider, and how she met him. She
told me about her love for animals and the litte animal sanctuary that
she had in the forest near her home. I learned of her illness, and
wondered at how she was able to do so many things.

In her most recent activities to fight the RIIA - I was totally
impressed. She showed tremendous leadership and determination and I
could see she was pretty well a one-woman army against those guys.
Whenever she sent an article or links, I would forward it to various
indy music lists here in Canada, to try to keep them informed.

Holly's determined support of indy artists was outstanding. She was
always very positive, and willing to give a spin to a new CD. Her energy
and will seemed never-ending.

The online music community will be much less vibrant without her. She
was the spark to set the usually sluggish artists going. She dared to
tilt at windmills. She made a difference.

My thoughts go out to all who cared for her, and especially to her
partner, Midnight Rider, who's love and support helped bolster Holly
through the tough times.

And, to Holly's brave spirit, I say the words she often said to me: "You
go girl!"

Louise Peacock
ONYX Canada - Music Publicity, Promotions and Management
email: wezel AT wezel.com
email: onyxcan AT wezel.com
WEB page: http://www.wezel.com/onyx
- - -
FEATURED ARTISTS:
This month we continue with Dave Soroka, Canadian Songwriter, his
newsletter of June 29, 2004, and a truly interesting road show. We hope
you will take a seat in the van, and enjoy the tour with him.
http://www.davesoroka.com
dave AT davesoroka.com
PRE-FAME TOUR 2004
Hello, I'm Django Clark Dave's trusty Webmaster. Most of you know that
Dave is on a US tour nickname the "pre-fame tour" last night he
performed his first gig at a party in Olympia Washington. After the show
he tried to send out a newsletter but the computer he was using was
having problems. So this morning he woke me up at 9:30AM (that's early
in the morning for a self employed person) to tell me he had 24 hours to
make it to his next gig in at the Abuelitas Restaurant in Topanga
California at 9:30PM - June 30th.

Dave asked me to let everybody know that the show last night was a
success and that he is still alive as of Tuesday 9:30AM. Expect to hear
from Dave after his next show.
- - -
COLUMNS:
A] Anatoly Volynets - Culture vs. Copyright

NO ENTRY THIS MONTH
- - -
COMMONS GALLERY BEST OF THE BEST:
The Creative Commons Project offers musicians, artists, and authors a
nifty way to meet their legal needs for licensing their works for
distribution across the Internet. If readers discover interesting
material that sports the Creative Commons tag, let us know, and we'll
link it here. Attach your photo with your suggested link, to be added
to the gallery. Let's spread the word!

NO ENTRY THIS MONTH
- - -
Remember when cars sported running boards out of practical necessity?
Most roads back then weren't paved like our roads, today.

The Digital Age, still in its' infancy, requires the use of electronic
running boards. People are out there that have never used a computer.
Most people don't understand how computers work [I just raised my hand],
let alone how to make CD's, DVD's, MP3's, OGG, WAV, and the list goes
on.

And, in the arts and sciences, from musicians to artists to authors, the
knowledge that recordings no longer requires an expensive recording
studio is restricted to just a few. This newsletter intends to help
musicians, artists, and authors to step out and enter the Digital Age.
We'll provide the running board to help you avoid the "mud". If you're
involved in the arts, we hope you'll join us each month.
- - -
OPEN STUDIOS:RUNNING BOARD is available as a loose-leaf binder
subscription for your home or office. Tastefully done, I might add, to
impress your friends and visitors, or to give as a lovely gift to
friends and relatives. Help support Open Studios by ordering your
subscription, today. Visit our online gift shop at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/onlineshop.php
- - -
To subscribe or unsubscribe to Open Studios email list:
- - -
To subscribe to RUNNING BOARD newsletter ONLY:
send email to tompoe AT studioforrecording.org
- - -
Open Studios home page:
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
- - -
We're looking for volunteers to work on the newsletter. Send an email
and let us know what you'd like to do.
- - -
Won't you help support Open Studios, today? Please visit our homepage
and click on the DONATE NOW link. Or, if you prefer, send a check or
money order to:
Open Studios
241 Crampton
P.O. Box 7202
Reno, NV 89510-7202
NOTE: Check our wish list for contributions we need:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/wishlist.html
- - -
Licensed as Public Domain with the Creative Commons Project, August 1,
2003.
- - -

  • [Community_studios] Newsletter Issue #7: July, 2004, tom poe, 07/02/2004