community_studios - [Community_studios] SONG STORM Update: June 29th, 2004

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Nate Smith <agirlnamedcraig AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] SONG STORM Update: June 29th, 2004
  • Date: 29 Jun 2004 19:52:30 -0700

First on the list is the exciting news that large-scale streaming is
available, or will be soon, for .ogg files. "The GNOME European Users
and Developers conference is currently underway in Kristansand, Norway.
The whole conference is available live online as an Ogg Theora stream
(the videos of the talks are also archived). This is very exciting as it
is a proof of concept that it is possible to do high quality streaming
using a fully free format today."

That means Independent Artists are no longer dependent on Realplayer,
and other proprietary devices/software for moving their music careers
forward. The source of this breakthrough comes from:
http://www.fluendo.com/

>From the Theora FAQ:
Q: What other video formats will Theora compete with?
A: Given the quality and relatively low bitrate of Theora, it will be
mostly competing with MPEG-4/DivX, Real, Windows Media, and other
similar formats.

OK, so what's that mean?
"Welcome to the Xiph.Org Foundation homepage. Xiph.Org Foundation is a
non-profit corporation dedicated to protecting the foundations of
Internet multimedia from control by private interests. Our purpose is to
support and develop free, open protocols and software to serve the
public, developer and business markets."

As an Independent Artist, you want to reach a worldwide audience. You
also want to use the highest quality material available. Multi-media
presentations can be created within a range of quality levels. Your
audience can listen to or view lower quality material, and purchase
higher quality material. It's that simple.

With the activity anticipated over the next few weeks to months, we can
expect some remarkable opportunities for Independent Artists to begin
creating enhanced CDs, and just in time for the holidays, I suspect.

If you want to explore this topic some more, let me know, and we'll make
sure your listings start hyping and marketing for you. Remember, all
our services are free, so take advantage.
- - -
SONG STORM has been "stuck in a ditch" for almost a month, now. We
apologize, and will hopefully be geared up to make a serious run at the
100 Artist mark soon. In the meantime, we're trying to get a fix on
what's happening over at www.archive.org. It seems they have some
10,000 live concerts available (or working on it), and that, my friend,
means some real serious and terrific music is about to join forces with
SONG STORM, one way or the other. We're just tickled pink. Will keep
you posted. Oh, and get to work on pinning down a decent digital camera
at your local cable tv access station, or a friend, or possibly from an
Open Studios community-based recording studio, and start recording.
We'll help you get those recordings into shape for folks to purchase
from you, directly, if you want. Again, no charge, so take advantage.
Tom Poe
SONG STORM
Reno, NV
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

  • [Community_studios] SONG STORM Update: June 29th, 2004, tom poe, 06/29/2004