community_studios - [Community_studios] CDs for XMAS idea

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: BLUES-L <BLUES-L AT LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG>
  • Cc: Indie Music <indie-music AT yahoogroups.com>, Blues-dj List <blues-dj AT yahoogroups.com>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] CDs for XMAS idea
  • Date: 24 Jun 2004 23:31:58 -0700

Suppose you want to send your personal friends a CD for XMAS. Will you
send one that can only be listened to three times, and then it
disintegrates? Will you send one that can only be played on one device?

Suppose a child writes to you, describes her cancer, and asks for a CD.
Will you send her one that prevents her from making a copy to give to
her mother, because you want to believe the RIAA is legislating on your
behalf?

Perhaps there are better scenarios out there about what Independent
Artists want to do with their CDs so they'll be successful. Maybe you
can think of some. Whatever, keep in mind that the RIAA is determined
to shut you out, close you down, and prevent you from pursuing a career
in music, plain and simple. Don't let them continue.

Me, I guess I want to do it the old-fashioned way, with dignity and
honor. Place one or more songs in a reputable repository such as
www.archive.org. Let as many sites as possible know that those songs
are licensed for the Internet, and to help spread the word, and start a
Digital Age Fan Club. From there, I build an audience that appreciates
music and purchases, respects my licenses and doesn't abuse them. I use
the Creative Commons Project, and P2P networks like www.gnomoradio.org
to make it easy for listeners to identify my licenses, so other artists
can contact me and arrange terms. I rely on a worldwide audience, not
local, regional, or national. It is there, for each artist. It's the
Internet. Do you have a fan club signup on your site? Why not?

When DJs request CDs from sites like SONG STORM, they can monitor the
activity, so as to diminish the abuse of DJs selling the demos on
Amazon.com and other sites, relying on alerts from the fans. There are
thousands of Internet stations and the number is growing. To get a
flavor, look to alternative weekly publications that report over 17
million readers a week. There's an infrastructure out there that is
designed specifically for Independent Artists. Time to use it, don't
you think?
Tom Poe
SONG STORM
Reno, NV
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/playlist.php

  • [Community_studios] CDs for XMAS idea, tom poe, 06/25/2004