community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Grant Update

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Francis Brock <francis AT brockworks.com>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Grant Update
  • Date: 21 Jun 2004 08:54:35 -0700

Hi, Francis: Well, sounds like you've found a level of community-based
recording studio that is comfortable for you, and is up and running,
as-we-speak. Terrific to hear from you.

Best wishes on your alumnus status. Let me know how it goes.

HOA, I take it, is Home Owners' Association?

Our precious Public Domain is up against corporate interests. Those
corporate interests want nothing less than to criminalize your recording
studio. The idea that owning any technology must be "approved", and, as
with your pending status as an alumnus, you must apply for exemption to
own and operate any technology that permits recording/copying. Sort of
like wanting to purchase and use a copy machine in a world where only
"authorized" individuals will be permitted to do so. A lofty goal for
"Hollywood" and "Major Record Labels", but one that is eerily moving
towards success. Unless . . .

With your help, and others, such recording facilities (think
community-based recording studios in-a-box) will be up and running,
making it truly difficult for corporate interests to control.

You asked about Open Studios goals for this year, 2004. 2004 is the
first full year of operation. In this year, we simply want to build a
base from which we can move forward. The Board has focused on launching
SONG STORM, setting a gift shop up, identifying specific projects that
might attract interest. We have two years to develop a fund-raising
strategy that will satisfy the Internal Revenue Service. From the
beginning, we have attempted to describe the concepts surrounding the
"battle" for communities to consider. That work continues. It's a
matter of figuring out what message can reach the general public. It's
a tough one, as you know.

NPR is institutionalized. Not a viable option at this point. However,
recently, I learned about the alternative weekly publications network,
and that network reaches some 17 million readers each week. Seems like
there's some possibilities, there. Will let you know what we find out.
If you sign up for the community_studios mail list, you can follow the
progress.

Tom

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 06:18, Francis Brock wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm thinking "next year", maybe.
>
> Several things -
>
> Had to register and get in system as an alumnus. Still Pending.
>
> Purpose -
> It became evident to me that bringing the studio to the community was a
> better way to go than bringing the community to the studio unless one could
> set up a studio in the community it was trying to serve. I live in a
> somewhat rural area, yet close to what is considered part of the
> Baltimore/Washington DC metro area. The "community" I'm in is also in an
> HOA.
>
> Lost cause?
> I continue doing reading and research on the Public Domain. It's David and
> Goliath. Noble Cause. But, we need strong congressional support. Those
> elected are suppose to serve the people, they tend to be served by those
> with deep pockets. Highly organized grass roots campaign work, but it
> requires getting in the volunteers with time and dedication to the cause. It
> unfortunately requires good financial support or lots of free national
> publicity. Have you approached NPR.
>
> What are/is Open Studios goal(s) this year?
>
> The Open Studio web site -
> Concerns, is there no one to maintain and present a "clean" and "focused"
> site? I've been round and round and I know the site pretty well, even I'm
> confused.
> There is Studios Development Programs forum which needs to go away,
> moderated or at least cleaned up. I don't want to be associated with what's
> in there.
>
> I'm not giving up - hopefully, I can maintain some momentum. I plan to
> continue with what I consider "share the experience" - my children's
> friends, our friends and their children and their friends, etc. are all
> interested in having and sharing the studio experience. This all begins in
> the next month. They purchase the recording media (a hard drive and caddy).
> I will not be charging for studio time. I believe in what goes around comes
> around so I my intentions are to share the experience.
>
> At some point - I hope our paths with cross again.
>
> Peace (the symbol of nuclear disarmament is a good none copyrighted
> example),
>
> Francis

  • [Community_studios] Re: Grant Update, tom poe, 06/21/2004