community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: If I perform for you, will you pay me?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Public Knowledge <pk AT publicknowledge.org>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Calvin Owens <calvin AT calvinowens.com>, Indie Music <indie-music AT yahoogroups.com>, Press-Creative Commons <press AT creativecommons.org>, Lucas Gonze <lucas AT gonze.com>, "iriXx AT iriXx.org" <iriXx AT iriXx.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: If I perform for you, will you pay me?
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:33:44 -0700 (PDT)

This question is absolutely relevant and normal. If an artist performs
for an audience, a reward is expected and desirable.

Abnormality starts at that point when *anyone*, including the artist tries
to control what happens after the performance. Culturally normal course of
events IS that anyone afterwards is allowed to use the performance in any
way for any purpose (with proper attribution, naturally). This will
promote the artist, culture and industry.

All kinds of restrictions, such as publishing monopolies or censorship
disrupt this normal development in all listed senses: limit the artist
promotion, strangle culture, shrink industry.