community_studios - [Community_studios] Confusion Reigns Regarding ASCAP/BMI/RIAA and the rest . . .

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Confusion Reigns Regarding ASCAP/BMI/RIAA and the rest . . .
  • Date: 04 Apr 2004 22:56:42 -0700

Well, when we started out in 2002, we knew that I was confused about how
the "system" works. Ten days ago, the opportunity to discuss the topic
of Open Studios and in particular, SONG STORM, came up on the Blues-L
list. I stayed right with about half a dozen old timers, and a couple
of younger musicians through the weekend, and during the week. They
really need a simple recipe to follow for the Digital Age approach.
They're mulling it over, now. That's a good thing. I could have been
knocked right off the list, but haven't been as yet.

These last three days or so, there was a rash of discussion about
ASCAP/BMI and all the wonderful things they do, as well as their
counterparts in the rest of the world. The consensus at this point, is,
noone knows who gets paid or not! Songwriters, composers, performers,
radio, music stores, demos, are just some of the keywords that elicit
varying responses. This is a mess! The Independent musicians,
songwriters, composers, and RIAA/ASCAP/BMI folks do not agree as to who
gets paid for what.

Add the Internet, and to me, it looks like Hollywood and the major
record labels have got everyone exactly where they want them, not able
to figure out who gets paid what for where.

Well, I guess we're going to have to reach out and see if there is some
place that documents what exactly takes place. If folks that claim they
worked for these organizations can't agree, and the musicians can't
agree, then anyone know where we can look to find out who gets paid
what?
Tom

  • [Community_studios] Confusion Reigns Regarding ASCAP/BMI/RIAA and the rest . . ., tom poe, 04/05/2004