community_studios - [Community_studios] Time to Take a Stand

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Time to Take a Stand
  • Date: 21 Feb 2004 10:21:25 -0800

Please review the following email that will be sent to all the artists
on SONG STORM. Edit and post back, and let's get this message out,
quickly.
Tom

Hello [Artist]: Time to wake up. Yesterday, 321.com was ordered to
cease manufacturing DVDXCopy. This technology allows independent
musicians, artists, authors, educators, researchers, folks at home, to
create DVD's (and copies) of their songs, art works, books and film,
school projects, scientific presentations, and home movies. The RIAA
doesn't like that. The MPAA doesn't like that. So, they bought a
judge, and decided you, the independent artist will not be able to have
access to it, to further your careers. As the judge said, "...the
downstream uses of the software by the customers of 321, whether legal
or illegal, are not relevant to determining whether 321 itself is
violating the statute [ed.note DMCA]."
That means, you are not relevant!!!

They did the same thing with CARP, raising the entry for webcasters, so
you don't have the tens of thousands of Internet stations and the
industry growing as it should to further your careers.

I want each of you to sign into the Forum and state your case, tell us
what you think we need to do as a web site to counter the hesitation
that listeners have/will have to copying, downloading, participating in
the sharing of music and supporting you and your career. Are you an
independent artist that wants to speak with one voice? If so, what do
you want that voice to say to the world?
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/phpbb/phpBB2/

We don't want to lose you, and we have big plans for the site, and for
helping you develop an internet strategy that the RIAA/MPAA folks don't
want you to know about. We do, however, believe it is the time to take
a stand, and decide, do you want to try to fit the major record label
template, or do you want to create a career in music that you control.

We look forward to seeing you on the Forum, and let's make decisions
that benefit independent musicians!!!
Thanks,
The Management