community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: "Federal Reserve Speaks, But Can't Call the Jobs Home"

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Dan Spillane <DanSLegal AT aol.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: "Federal Reserve Speaks, But Can't Call the Jobs Home"
  • Date: 12 Feb 2004 11:20:41 -0800

Isn't it time we stop calling those folks in the White House,
Republicans, and call them what they are, Neoconservatives, i.e.,
they're not republicans, and they're not Democrats. They're a bunch of
Chicago Theory Neoconservatives left over from the '70's, and they need
to be run out of town, along with their obsolete economic crapppoooolla.
Tom

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 10:59, DanSLegal AT aol.com wrote:
> [I am told they are talking about resignations related to this major screw
> up.]
>
> "Federal Reserve Speaks, But Can't Call the Jobs Home"
> PRESS RELEASE
> Citizens for Corporate Accountability
>
> -Serious Problems With 02/11 Federal Reserve Testimony
>
> (SEATTLE) 02/12/04 - Alan Greenspan says a continuing worry is that the Fed
> policy could become "improperly calibrated" to economic developments.
> Indeed--"fedspeak"--what does he mean?
>
> It turns out, in the past when the Federal Reserve has failed, it is
> because
> their moves to affect the economy have not worked for one reason or another
> (for example, failing while lowering target interest rates in order to
> achieve
> higher employment--sound familiar?) . Such failures tend to end badly.
> Perhaps
> even, like the 1970s, a period of "stagflation", or more like the present--
> periods of alternating stagflation and deflation, relying heavily on
> borrowing
> at both the federal and consumer level.
>
> Greenspan also mentions that currency-related changes to profits have been t
> emporarily offset by currency hedging activities. He mentions foreign
> companies--but neglects to mention similar effects related to domestic
> companies, faced
> with, among other things, skyrocketing aluminum, copper, and energy prices,
> all coming at the same time. Forget about new hires--how can companies like
> GE,
> Boeing, and Caterpillar operate at all domestically, once
> currency/inflation
> hedging runs out? The most recent manufacturing survey ("ISM") shows a
> prices
> paid component not seen since right before the 2000 stock market crash. In
> short, US inflation creation is far outrunning job creation--and
> apparently,
> running US jobs offshore in the process. Might this be an example of
> Greenspan's
> "improper calibration"?
>
> What Greenspan doesn't mention is more interesting--the effect low interest
> rates have had on foreign economies--sending several foreign stock markets
> into
> bubbles, which dwarf those of the 2000 bubble. Thailand, Brazil,
> Turkey...the
> list is long. A bubble is one type of "improper calibration."
>
> Finally, it is striking to see a headline claim of "vigorous growth
> ahead"--if that were truly the case, interest rates would not be at
> multi-decade lows.
> After all, it is a long, long way up to a "normal" interest rate
> environment--the only way from down this low, is up. Something clearly is
> "improperly
> calibrated" between what the Fed is saying about the economy, and what
> interest
> rates are set to.

> [...]

  • [Community_studios] Re: "Federal Reserve Speaks, But Can't Call the Jobs Home", tom poe, 02/12/2004