community_studios - [Community_studios] regular/internet radio stations issue

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] regular/internet radio stations issue
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:59:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, tom poe wrote:

: Hi, Anatoly: The question was, in essence, how will you want stations
: to be classified? There are internet only stations. There are public
: radio stations. Then, there are proprietary stations. The public
: stations and the proprietary stations can play both copyright protected
: songs, and songs residing in the public domain. Proprietary stations
: engage heavily in the RIAA entertainment system, with record labels
: paying the stations to play their artists' music. The public stations
: don't invest heavily in the system, although they might invest some, who
: knows?

Right, but the same can be said about internet stations.

: So, which are considered "regular" stations, as opposed to
: public or internet based stations? The distinction does not lie with
: the ability to stream over the internet, it lies with the ownership and
: purpose of the station.

This is what I meant. Distinction lies in policies, not in the way of
streaming. We have to find a way to reflect policies in our listings.

I do not get an issue with the ownership. If we want promote indies, this,
first of all means sole proprietors, including privately owned independent
stations, right? Clear Channel is a monster, but not the only private
owner in the field. We are interested in independent ones. Right?

:
: It's my feeling, that those stations that are privately owned,
: proprietary stations have no place in our world. We represent the world
: community. They do not. If, at some point, they want to join our
: world, then we can think about including them. Until then, it might be
: better to restrict our invitation to public and internet based stations
: that do not serve the RIAA. The last thing we want to convey to
: visitors, is a perceived interest in our participating in the Clear
: Channel distribution system, or any other "regular" station. Does that
: make sense?
:
: Remember, we're defining the name of this game, not the FCC, Clear
: Channel, Murdoch, or the RIAA folks.
: Tom
:

Hi Tom: I realized now that issue is not that clear as it seemed. Let's
think together.

The very first question is: can we definitely apply our stated rules to
the issue? This would be preferable solution from my stand point.

I see some questions to answer to frame the topic:

1. Can a regular ( again, I define regular technically, as not internet
based) station be a community one?

2. Can a privately own station be an internet based one?

3. Can a privately owned station be accepted on Song Storm if its policy
is to play indies and/or open music?

4. Can an internet based station be affiliated with ASCAA, RIAA and so
forth?

My general approach is clear, but an answer is not. We want independent
and open music to be promoted, right? Should we list only those stations
that share these goals? Looks like this would be a right answer. But this
does not directly depend on technical details, right? I'm asking, not
insisting.

We were going to clarify an ownership and license on each single song
(which may be a hell of work). Probably we have to talk to stations about
their general policies either? Just a suggestion.

One more idea popped out right now. We actually want artists to get in
thinking about all these issues. Thus, Song Storm mission is not
promotional only but also the educational one. But all this is directly
applied to clubs and stations as well. I believe just a handful of them
ever discussed all these issues between themselves. What do you think?

Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com
http://www.culturedialogue.org

  • [Community_studios] regular/internet radio stations issue, Anatoly Volynets, 01/17/2004