community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Barnes and Noble

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: ernesto333 AT earthlink.net
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Barnes and Noble
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:05:55 -0000

Hi, ernesto: Thanks for your input. I apologize for not having been
able to state my case more clearly. Those jerks at B&N never permitted
our group to do anything in their store. That's the point! I suggest
they permit us to talk to people about our precious Public Domain, and
they absolutely refuse to permit that to happen. Now, why is that, do
you suppose?

For starters, Barnes and Noble is a publishing house. Publishers do not
like the Public Domain. Publishers are this very day, working hard to
wipe out the Public Domain forever. That means, ernesto, if they get
their way, you won't be able to read works from history without paying
for the books through publishing houses like Barnes and Noble. Whether
it's music or books or art, the publishers in those mediums are all
merging, and when only one publisher controls all the information, you
and I will lose our right to read and even talk about important issues.
And, for sure, you will not be able to enjoy the Internet like you do,
today.

Now, having said that, the idea of talking about our precious Public
Domain in their store, will show them, and the audiences that there is a
way for everyone to benefit. But, until then, you should think real
hard about why you want to support someone who wants to take away your
right to read and share works that are in the Public Domain.

Again, thanks for discussing your views.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/