community_studios - [Community_studios] Diebold comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: phoenix_letters AT swarthmore.edu
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Diebold comment
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:26:37 -0700

Referring to the pages:
http://www.why-war.com/features/2003/10/diebold.html

Diebold, as many of you know, is a major supplier of ATM machines for the country of India. They also are reported to be providing all the machines for India's next election. ATM machines provide printout receipts for the customer. Imagine using an ATM that did NOT provide a paper-printout. So, ask yourself, why would a company not want to provide a printout of your vote? More importantly, ask yourself why would our elected officials NOT want us to be able to subject the source code of these voting machines to public scrutiny?

You and I lose our right to vote with these machines.
If you use scanning technology in your precinct, make sure you can hand count the ballots to verify the election. After you scan your ballot, only then does the secret source code decide how to record your vote for the election. There's every reason to believe you can't audit the ballots, or, if so, a limit far below satisfactory numbers are permitted.

Finally, ask yourself how a private company can intimidate your school administrators to the point they deliberately engage in censorship.

Best of luck to all of you. We support you fully.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Diebold comment, tom poe, 10/24/2003