community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [FOLKDJ-L] Artists to Stage Protest Against Green Linnet

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Folk and Bluegrass DJs <FOLKDJ-L AT LISTS.PSU.EDU>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [FOLKDJ-L] Artists to Stage Protest Against Green Linnet
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:42:20 -0000

The artists under contract with Green Linnet, as well as the former
artists, are not getting paid. The boycott is against Green Linnet. At
this time, it would seem the contracts are all in breach. The artists
need to consult with a lawyer and make their decisions whether to
continue with the contract, or not.

A boycott can easily help the artists by demonstrating the sudden loss
of sales due to the boycott, which encourages the label to rethink their
position. Even this discussion of whether to boycott or not begins to
raise the bar for supporting the artists. Each station that mentions
the threat of joining the protest when it occurs helps the artists, not
the label.

If the artists under contract know they can find a unified support group
like the internet stations to help them, and spread the word, like we
should all do for this "first protest since the 1960's", they will begin
to rethink their reliance on the labels, and shift to true
independence. They really no longer need the labels to pursue their
careers successfully.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/