community_studios - [Community_studios] Settling In with the RIAA comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: cindy.webb AT washingtonpost.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Settling In with the RIAA comment
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:17:16 -0000

Hi, Cynthia: You report that p2p sharing use is down. Whatever that
means. In the meantime, there's the important "other side". What's
happening with independent music? What's happening with artists that
choose to use Creative Commons licensing for their works?
http://www.creativecommons.org

I suspect you just may find, as many are, that music, good music, any
genre, is increasingly available on the Internet. And, folks are moving
away from RIAA controlled artists.

We are now seeing more sites dedicated to independent music. Check out
http://www.commoncontent.org or http://www.archive.org or
http://www.etree.org and the list goes on.

Here's a tip: Tomorrow, SONG STORM hits the Internet (let me know if
you want a press release). It is a project flying under the aegis of
Open Studios. The site is a Playlist Contest, where listeners submit
their favorite non-RIAA song sets, and win prizes. Simple, but
effective. Webcaster stations and college radio stations will be listed
for those who want to "dial in" to listen over the Internet to their
favorite genres. Forums will be available for those who want to discuss
different topics about webcasting, college radio, starting a webcasting
station, technical support for users moving to media players that give
them the freedom to listen to, share, and enjoy music that is not RIAA
approved. Nice, eh?

Maybe, just maybe, the RIAA's days are numbered, and the world community
will be better off. We like to call it, a Bush-style regime change.
The artists and musicians in the world will certainly be.

Did you see Peter, Paul & Mary's Wedding Song site? They dedicated the
song to the Public Domain. They report having received over $2
millionUSD in donations. Nice business model, eh? A little tweaking,
and we have PHISH, who report giving away their songs for p2p, and in
return, listeners purchasing over $1 millionUSD for CD's. Nice business
model, eh? There are more and more success stories built around the
idea that the Internet belongs to the people, and if artists use it for
what it is meant to be used for, i.e., communication and marketing, not
sales, not a distribution channel for the RIAA, then everyone wins,
except the RIAA.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Settling In with the RIAA comment, tom poe, 09/30/2003