community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Nonprofit Music Recording Studio for Teens

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Noah Kleiman <MrNoah AT nwdak.org>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Nonprofit Music Recording Studio for Teens
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:49:57 -0000

Hi, Noah: I did visit your site. The Old Library recording studio is
not different from what we are doing, as far as I can tell. I think it
is just MARVELOUS! WONDERFUL!

Actually, you have a golden angel or two involved, and that's a big
boost. Now, let's talk turkey.

I want you to spin off a program that provides free recording services
for the community residents. You can start with setting one computer,
one hour per month, on a first-come, first-served basis. That will
fulfill your promise to the residents. :)

Your fund-raising for this project can focus on offering all residents
free recording services, and, in exchange, users must be encouraged to
license their works with the Creative Commons Project
http://www.creativecommons.org

As volunteers are trained, the hours can be increased.

If you think it will help, you can hook up with Open Studios. What we
require is for you to send the name of the program you choose to call
it, your name, and any others that might be key players in the program,
the postal mail address of the program location. We'll send you a
Memorandum of Understanding that will protect you while providing a
formal document that shows others you have good support behind you
(looks like you already have plenty). This will be good to attract
interest from sponsors and supporters.

All our services are free. I think it would be a good way for you to
increase your exposure, and it will be fun to be a part of what you are
doing. Let me know if you have an interest.

So, what's on your computers? CCRMA? AGNULA? Will you be integrating
a digital camcorder, and doing video with Cinelerra, xmovies, etc.?
What's happening? :)
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 12:51, Noah Kleiman wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> I just looked at your website and thought I would quickly touch base
> with you.
> I'm running a nonprofit music recording studio for teens in Portland, OR.
> I thought you might be interested. Our mission is very different from
> yours... we're and arts and technology education facility.
> Our office computers are all open source... because I'm a huge linux geek.
>
> Check our the website when you get a chance:
> www.oldlibrarystudio.org
>
> all best,
> Noah Kleiman
>
> executive director
> nw digital art kids'
> The Old Library Studio

  • [Community_studios] Re: Nonprofit Music Recording Studio for Teens, tom poe, 09/30/2003