community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [cc-sampling] mock-ups of sampling pages

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "iriXx AT iriXx.org" <iriXx AT iriXx.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [cc-sampling] mock-ups of sampling pages
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:52:43 -0000

Hi, Mr. Brown: It's like visiting an art gallery. Just plain
beautiful!

You indicated you've been discussing technical machine-readable topics,
and we'd (Open Studios) would be most interested in a general question
for your input.

We're trying to pull together a core group that might be able to put a
parallel system in place for independent artists to consider using for
marketing and distribution of their works, based on Creative Commons
licensing. The components start with a general call for web sites that
offer indexing of such artists using the model so elegantly demonstrated
by commoncontent.org. We have suggested there be a Playlist contest
for folks to submit their favorite playlists (one or two hours) of music
licensed under the Creative Commons license. If the right combination
of sponsors and participants in hosting the contest can be identified
and it is implemented successfully, this results in a pool of playlists
for webcasters. It also provides an interesting database for
integrating into a pilot program for one or more p2p products that could
be offered to those who want reassurance they aren't file sharing
copyrighted works from the RIAA.

On the other side, there is a need to screen material for preventing
"poisoning" of the pool. To that end, Open Studios, and hopefully, many
more web sites might join in, plans to offer cursory confirmation of
listings for its' site (from artists, directly, prior to listing), SONG
HUNTER, soon to be launched. In addition, there will be a clearing
house for reporting "poisons" to the general public. I envision this
web site to operate much as a Gazette that people can publish their
self-policing discoveries for others to check. It could also take the
form of a "yellow" tag that questions the licensing of a particular
work. However, for effectiveness, it really relies on labor-intensive
active participation by all involved, so should be limited to simply an
alert type process. Wiki based Gazette for license questions? Still
thinking on this. Any ideas appreciated.

After all that, then, the question is, is there a nifty way to have p2p
products discover a particular folder on a drive that contains the
machine readable licensed works? Has that topic come up for discussion
with your group?
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/