community_studios - [Community_studios] Looking for quote opportunity, please

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: raskin AT wcl.american.edu
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Looking for quote opportunity, please
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:34:47 -0000

Hello: Open Studios is engaged in a project, a local access tv show,
called, "The Right To Vote". Research has led to this article:
http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/15/raskin-j.html
A Right to Vote
By Jamin B. Raskin
Issue Date: 8.27.01

A small sampling of related posts found on the search engine, Google,
included a surprisingly significant number of individuals exclaiming
they were not aware of the lack of constitutional "right to vote"
verbiage in our Constitution. Thus, we want to bring this fact up, and
to highlight the advantage of "checks and balances" provided by state
control over this primary and fundamental democratic "right".

The topic is introduced as an issue:
Advocates of Direct Recording Election (DRE) voting systems believe the
implementation of the Help America Vote Act will stimulate and protect
the right to vote in our country.

Opponents of DRE voting systems believe the implementation of the Help
America Vote Act, by virtue of eliminating physical voter-verified
ballots will in turn, eliminate our right to vote.

Question: Is there a constitutional issue raised by not providing a
voter with the ability to verify her ballot in a form that permits
public scrutiny of the election process? [note: there is no public
scrutiny present at any level with DRE machines, as the system is a
non-starter, because the source code is proprietary, and noone can audit
this code, period.]
- - -

Mr. Raskin, I hope you will consider a short response, and even more
importantly, consider how the Help America Vote Act, and Mr. Ensign's
infamous amendment of a ballot printout that deliberately misleads the
public into believing it provides a voter-verified ballot, when, in
fact, it does not, impacts on removing our right to vote as we move into
the Digital Age. Couple that with the elimination of exit polling,
which, as you well know, is touted by the government as mandatory, and
the only reliable means for U.S. Observers to validate elections in
Third World countries, and we are "sunk".

I look forward to hearing from you, soon.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
blog: http://www.studioforrecording.org/mt/Pubdomain_Bread/

  • [Community_studios] Looking for quote opportunity, please, tom poe, 09/04/2003