community_studios - [Community_studios] [DMCA_Discuss] can you copyright TEXT?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: "DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org" <DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] [DMCA_Discuss] can you copyright TEXT?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:43:43 -0000

Hi, Jill: I had trouble finding anything in all of that, that stated
the URL for the phony site, and encouraged others to understand that the
phony site was not associated with your organization. Maybe I missed
it.

Let's say I had a site, and someone dummied up a phony in some other
country. I would make a statement at the homepage of my site, like:
ATTENTION! http://www.mysite.org has been dummied up by a phony site:
http://www.phonysite.someothercountry.org/ . Please pass the word along
to the authorities.

Now, having done that, you can continue with any further backlash from
people by having them note your homepage with that caveat in place.

I'm concerned about your choice of solutions, Jill. The DMCA is a
horrible beast. It is one that will break the Internet, and you and I
will suffer, not the "content providers" that created the DMCA.

Since 1976, it became law, at least in the United States, that all works
default to copyright. No notice, such as was seen on the bottom of your
site, is needed, in order to be protected. A better notice for you,
would be to register your work with the Creative Commons Project at:
http://www.creativecommons.org/ . When you do that, you encourage
others to visit your site, rather than some phony site, or some "content
provider" that is determined to ruin the Internet for profit. If you
are a nonprofit organization, and you are behaving as a "content
provider", thinking you can control the world for your products, you are
viewed as one that is not a nonprofit organization, but a greedy
"content provider". Many people who might otherwise support you will
NOT!

The laws in many countries are designed to protect customers from
fraud. I didn't see anywhere that you had alerted any agencies that
might not want phonysite.org to engage in fraud.

If I may, I suggest you get all that DMCA crap off your site, and start
trying to clean up your organization's image starting with becoming
familiar with the Creative Commons Project. Secondly, I encourage you
to contact Chilling Effects folks, and ask them to help you undo the
damage done by invoking the DMCA. Both organizations will be more than
happy to give you guidance, I am sure.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] [DMCA_Discuss] can you copyright TEXT?, tom poe, 06/29/2003