community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] New Thread

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT ableweb.net>
  • To: Dan Barrett <dan AT offthehill.org>
  • Cc: "DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org" <DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] New Thread
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 00:39:07 -0000

Hi, Dan: When a song is created, it has the originator of the song,
possibly a lyricist to add words, or if the originator has written the
words, a performer to provide the music. In the Digital Age, one can
bypass entirely the RIAA/MPAA route, and publish the song on their own,
simply by creating the mp3 file, or .ogg file [free of patent
encumbrances], registering it with the Creative Commons Project, placing
it on the web for people to download and listen to. Several songs can
be bundled as a CD, and either made available for download or for
purchase. The interesting aspect you raised about copyright issues is,
that when an artist, musician, or author registers their works with the
Creative Commons Project, there are several choices that can be made.

One choice is to register it as a work free to everyone without
restrictions. We know that as the traditional Public Domain
"bequeathing" you mentioned. Another choice is to register the work as
one free to everyone to enjoy for their personal pleasure, but, if
performed in public, attribution [credit] is to be given each time.
Another choice is to register the work as free to everyone to enjoy for
their personal pleasure, attribution, and reserving the restriction,
that if someone wants to make money from it, they contact the owner to
arrange payment. At some point, one might conceivably add enough
restrictions that it looks like full copyright protection. At that
point, there's no purpose to register the work, as full copyright
protection is now automatically attached to new creative works.

Independent artists and musicians can't expect to become megastars in
the same sense as the present RIAA/MPAA scenario. On the other hand,
whatever money is generated through selling CD's, DVD's, customized
CD's/DVD's for patrons, recording merchandising, tours [bad scene in our
world right now], concerts, events, collaborations, etc., goes pretty
much directly into the originator's pockets.

A couple weeks ago, we made a tv show for the local access television
station. A songwriter was shot [that's tv-ese shot :) ] singing his
song. Out of that, he got a .ogg file, DVD, CD, and tv/radio
performance to distribute. He can then combine that with other works,
and offer customers the opportunity to request which songs they want on
their CD, or a customized multi-media CD with the film footage,
whatever. He can eventually offer recording merchandise like a necklace
with a song or two that plays through a cute little heart on the
necklace, or possibly a stuffed animal of the customer's choosing.

At one point, his works will be arranged as a multi-media exhibit, and
arts & culture groups will display the exhibit around the country and
around the world. Live webcast events can be setup. The limits are
endless. The opportunities are extraordinary. The big gabonnzo lies
with the fact that in the Digital Age, the musician, artist or author
controls the terms of any contracts!!!

Open Studios assists communities to build and operate community-based
recording studios. If I live in a community in Texas or Washington, or
wherever, and I'm broke, got a band, and want to make a career in music,
I would jump all over this. I'd contact Open Studios, and have them
walk me through the steps to build and operate a community-based
recording studio. All Open Studios services are free. These studios
offer free recording services to all local residents. No upfront money
is needed. Just go through the steps, get the equipment and start in.
When I start making money, and can afford to build my own studio, life
will be good. By the way, these studios are simply computers with the
right hardware,software, preamps, microphones, etc. There's no longer
the need for multi-million dollar setups.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/