community_studios - [Community_studios] Did the RIAA just spam 200,000 Grokster customers?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT ableweb.net>
  • To: "DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org" <DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Did the RIAA just spam 200,000 Grokster customers?
  • Date: 30 Apr 2003 12:17:59 -0700

http://news.findlaw.com/entertainment/s/20030430/mediariaadc.html
Music Industry Sends Warning to Song Swappers

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The record industry opened a new front in its
war against online piracy on Tuesday by surprising hundreds of thousands
of Internet song swappers with an instant message warning that they
could be "easily" identified and face "legal penalties" for their
actions.

If that isn't the most egregious example of unwanted, unsolicited spam
on the Internet, I don't know what is. Wonder how those that use
Grokster for legitimate file sharing feel? Which, of course, begs the
question, as to when copyright infringement is determined. I believe it
is a case-by-case basis, decided in a court of law, but then, maybe
Robert Bodi might clear up my confusion? :) [just teasing, Robert]
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Did the RIAA just spam 200,000 Grokster customers?, tom poe, 04/30/2003