community_studios - [Community_studios] RE: general question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT ableweb.net>
  • To: "Stotesbery, Bill" <BStotesbery AT hartic.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] RE: general question
  • Date: 14 Apr 2003 20:42:55 -0700

Hi: According to the Connecticutt Attorney General's Office, Jan 30,
2003, the federal election reform requirements include:
"produce a permanent paper record for the voting system that can be
manually audited and is avaialble as an official record for recounts."
BUT, that doesn't have to be in place until 2006!

Assuming the requirement satisfies the need of the voter to be able to
verify her voting ballot, and placing the paper record in a sealed
container, then the question becomes one of why isn't that option built
into all voter machines now? Why wait?

As to your alluding to "we remain concerned about potential consequences
and complications that accompany the voter verifiable paper ballot.", I
suggest you might want to clarify your concerns as a part of any
discussion. I am interested in learning more about the drawbacks of any
audit trail that does include a paper printout for the voter to verify,
and for the use in the event a recount is necessary, and many others are
as well.

Thank you for your response.
Tom Poe
Open Studios