community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Tax Exempt App Approved

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: rms AT gnu.org
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Tax Exempt App Approved
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 05:55:07 -0800

Hi, Richard: I like that! Especially the phrase, "The value of free software is free speech." As the Business Software Alliance makes their moves to shut the doors for technological creativity and innovation, and scientific journals scramble to silence researchers, and universities quietly remove taxpayers' dollars in order to profit from academic discovery, the value of free speech is eroding rapidly.

Or, in the spirit of the Free Software movement, the value of free speech is increasing in its importance, for those who value Democracy. Ram Samudrala offers some excellent thoughts about the role of free music in our society at: http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp/

If you lose the url, just click on his icon at the bottom of our homepage: http://www.studioforrecording.org/homepage.html

Open Studios
Reno, NV

Richard Stallman wrote:
Hi, Richard: Maybe you can help me clear up my thinking, as I use the term Open Source to mean software that isn't proprietary, doesn't have royalties attached, or the threat of royalties at some future time, because it is patent-encumbered.

That is more or less what we call "free software". ("Free" refers to
the users' freedom.) The free software movement was started in 1983,
and we've been working for these freedoms ever since.

In 1998, people who liked free software but rejected our ideals coined
the term "open source" so they could talk about free software without
alluding to our idealism. So now there are two different movements,
doing similar work but citing very different philosophies that are
as different as night and day.

If you'd like to read about the difference between the two movements,
see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.
After that, if you have more questions, please ask me.

--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
"There is no Public Domain unless we do it ourselves"