community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: CD Sales

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: Keith Tabor <ket354 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: CD Sales
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:15:10 -0800

Hi: Well, here's what's happened in my little corner over just a few months:
1] www.musicbrainz.org has a model for metadata about artists, recordings, etc. Seems close to easy-to-use. There will be others that are even easier to use, I'm sure.
2] www.studioforrecording.org has a model for community-based recording studios that offer free recording services to residents of the community, putting out high-quality CD's.
3] www.creativecommons.org has a model for registering works that permits individuals to have the same level of legal services as the corporations do. And, in just a few clicks, can protect their works under the Public Domain with Restrictions.

In the not-too-distant future, we'll see repositories [we're building one primitive version] that offer you and I the ease of access that we now look to hollywood media to provide for "hits". Go to a repository like the musicbrainz.org site, pick out a genre, click on download, listen to samples, download .ogg files, purchase full CD packages [CD's that mix and match to your personal preference], purchase other products for gifts to relatives and friends, and see where the artist is playing live, buy tickets, etc. This isn't as glamorous, but is so filled with quality and listening pleasure, there will be no need to look anywhere else, but to our friends and contacts for choices we haven't come across.

For most, in the not-too-distant future, music will be obtained through public access, local hype, and regional hype, and international hype. The RIAA will, yes, will die a slow and painful [hopefully] death. Individual bands will use the model of the prototype, Grateful Dead, who gave away their music, and made their money selling their products, and tours, and concerts. It's beginning to happen. No huge blockbuster stars, just hugely successful business strategies using the internet.

We, at Open Studios, with free services, assist communities to build and operate community-based recording studios. These are the incubators for the music business successes of tomorrow. Nice, eh?

Keith Tabor wrote:
cni-copyright (cni-copyright AT cni.org)

The topic was the whining of the studios about losing
money to peer-to-peer downloads while they are
simultaneously raking us over the coals for CDs and
not paying artists under their contracts. (I tried not
to be too biased, but that is my take ;-)

thanks,

Keith

--- "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
wrote:

Hi, Keith: I haven't been following the thread. Just happened to catch your inquiry about recording studios. What list was
this? And, what is the topic?
Open Studios
Reno, NV

Keith Tabor wrote:

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Please

post

this to the list if you hadn't already.

Thanks,

Keith

--- "tompoe AT renonevada.net"

<tompoe AT renonevada.net>

wrote:

Hi, Keith: Here's an approach. Help spread the
word.
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

A year ago, we figured we'd need to help a

community

build a community-based recording studio for upwards of
$25,000. Today, less than eight months later, the word filters to us

that

Open Source is breaking through. Now, most of the equipment has
been integrated within computers, so a low-cost computer can put out the
highest quality recordings, matching the most expensive studios
around.

Any band, or group, or musician, or artist can now
expect to make high quality recordings with just a quiet room and a
low-cost computer with Open Source apps. The quality of what is heard is
controlled by the quality of the speakers, in large part. So, it's

technical thing, they say, between what is on the CD and what you
hear over your system.
Open Studios
Reno, NV

Keith Tabor wrote: