community_studios - [Community_studios] B&N CEO views Open Studios as a threat . . . .

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: dgillmor AT sjmercury.com
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] B&N CEO views Open Studios as a threat . . . .
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:28:26 -0800

Hi, Dan: Open Studios, as you probably are aware, is a nonprofit dedicated to replenishing our precious Public Domain.

Recently, we have outlined, and initiated what will eventually be a global community Public Service education program. The curriculum calls for talks to be given at various venues throughout a community, e.g., bookstores, art galleries, libraries, schools, etc. These talks will focus on topics related to Public Domain, Copyright, Creative Commons, Democracy and a Civil Society, and the Digital Age.

I invited the local Barnes & Noble bookstore to host our talk[s], but was rejected. I complained to the store manager, who immediately fired the community relations director, and was referred to the regional community relations director. I also, at the same time, sent a missive to Steve Riggio, CEO of Barnes & Noble. He, in turn, had Ms. Mary Ellen Keating, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, respond. The text of her letter is at:
http://www.studioforrecording.org/mt/Pubdomain_Bread, the posting, "Sierra Nevadans Chat . . . .March 2, 2003"

So far, these clueless yahoos are the perfect illustration of the time-honored tradition of printers with their heads stuck in the sand. Were they to embrace and support Open Studios, they stand to increase their loyalty base, not only in Reno, but around the country. I'll be using them to highlight the real-world application of Open Source vs. The Old School, for doing business in the Digital Age.

Will keep you posted of further progress in this "Digital Age soap opera".
Your friend, I remain,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
"There is no Public Domain unless we do it ourselves"

  • [Community_studios] B&N CEO views Open Studios as a threat . . . ., tompoe AT renonevada.net, 03/03/2003